In the News on 3/14


This week on 3/14, our topic is "In the News," and we'll be talking about events that have been in the news recently.  

When I was in university, I had a professor who always clipped interesting articles out of newspapers.  His whole office was full of the files which were stuffed with years' and years' worth of his newspaper clippings.  Now that I'm a teacher, I find myself clipping out interesting newspaper articles for my students too!  Though with the internet, I can find them all online, I somehow still enjoy keeping the paper copies, and I still keep adding to my file of newspaper clippings!  

For the next few days, please pay attention to the news, either the English-language or the Chinese-language news, either from an actual newspaper, or from the t.v., radio, or internet, and choose an article or news item that you personally think is interesting.  Then in class this Thursday, 3/14, please share that news item or article with us.

Just tell us (briefly if you want, or in great detail if you want!) what the article's about, and what you think about the information in the article!   

This evening, I checked out CNN's website, http://edition.cnn.com/, and I found this article interesting: 

"Two enemies discover a 'higher call' in battle," by John Blake, CNN

and I also watched this short video:  

"Japan's unusual energy solution" 

I often buy Taiwan's English language newspaper, the Taipei Times, a source for English-language news about Taiwan, as well as international news.  Their home page is at:  http://www.taipeitimes.com/  

Today's Taipei Times includes this headline:  

"Protesters use exercise to make nuclear point," by Lee I-chia

I hope that each of you will be able to find some news that interests you this week.  

Class on 3/14 should be fun for all, and we'll have lots to discuss as we discuss the news!  

Please don't forget, our class time has been changed: the new C.I. class time is Thursdays from 7pm to 9:30pm!  

See you all at 7:00 on 3/14!  

No comments:

Post a Comment