C.I. class October 2015: further links from Yuhsi and Jerry‏

Dear Class!

Yuhsi and Jerry have both sent me great links to share with our class!

Yuhsi was inspired by our discussion of beauty a couple of weeks ago to tell us about a woman who recycles old dolls, taking off their makeup and giving them different outfits, and making them, in many people's opinions, much more beautiful!  Yuhsi shares that link with us, and you'll be happy if you watch this video!  The transformation is amazing!  
Tree Change Dolls

And last class Jerry introduced us to a "game" which helps people understand how tough it is to travel from Syria to Europe.  We tried as a class together, and we didn't make it.  I tried at home this morning, and I did make it to Europe, but only by abandoning my principles and doing something that I'm not very proud of.  :(  
If you'd like to try for yourself, here's the link from Jerry: 
Syrian Journey:  Choose your own escape route 

After your journey, you can read a lot of people's true escape stories at the end of the page.  I recommend the story of the "special shoes."  

After I tried the above journey, I felt pretty sad, and I also wondered why people pay so much money to those heartless and opportunistic smugglers for such short and dangerous journeys, when so much less money would be more than enough to buy a plane ticket all the way to Sweden or Germany or even Canada or the USA.  

If you're curious about this, check out some excellent answers here:
Why don't Mediterranean boat refugees take the plane?
or here:
Why Boat Refugees Don't Fly (Hans Rosling)

Enjoy the links, everyone, and many thanks to Jerry and Yuhsi for sharing with us!

Sincerely, Abbie

No comments:

Post a Comment